Friday 26 August 2011

Health visitor vs Felix

Today my health visitor came to see me. She comes once a week and always wants my parents to take my clothes off so I'm all naked. For this reason, I always make sure my nappy is full and requires changing.Once they've done this, they pick me up, place me on the hardest bed ever, take a step back and then start talking about numbers. Today the number they talked about was "4.12". Mum sounded very happy and I saw Dad twiddle with his phone, he pushed a few buttons and then said a new number "9.08". Everyone looked pleased, which was a relief, as I was picked up again, dressed, and placed on my dad's lap. On days like this, not only do I get naked, I also have my head measured for hats that never appear. Today my head number was 37.5. This didn't produce the same excited response my naked number did, but I wasn't naked anymore so I didn't care. This 37.5 number was talked about for a while and the health visitor started to draw pictures in my red book. I was told I shouldn't make my head grow that fast. I didn't think it was.

Normally I really, really like my health visitor but, today I overheard something that has made me a little cross. Since I've returned home I'm helping myself to as much milk as I please. Some days, I feed for hours on end even when I'm not really hungry. I also use my mummy to relax, not really drinking but just sucking or playing. This is all about to change. Mummy was advised to not let me just 'play' with her pillows, as it takes a lot of her time and stops me from feeding properly. Apparently, I will also find it difficult to settle down by myself. Grrrrr!! I don't settle because I want to play!

Dad said if he catches me misbehaving like this, he'll pick me up and place me on the naughty step. Fine. Bring it on.

I had a thought, "If I can't play with my mum's pillows I'll find something else to suck" and today I did. It was attached to one of my hands.






Sucking on my hands is good fun and I think it's making my mum jealous. If I keep it up, she'll eventually crack and will beg me to come back to play with her.

In the afternoon, I had another visit from my friend on the 'Nurse at Home' team. She brought me lots more medicine as mine keeps on expiring. I now have 10 different types of medication and it all tastes horrible. The problem is, it's usually mixed with my milk and I like milk.  So I drink it without complaining.  This lady also brought a machine to test my Oxygen Levels. This happens once a week and every time we have a quick test I always show off. 100%.











Last week I had the all important 'download'. This is when good results really matter. All of us were hopeful I'd continue to show-off and as a result I could have my Oxygen reduced. To please the judges I had to show them my Oxygen levels won't drop below 90% and average above 95%.

I was strapped up to the machine from 7:00pm until 8:00am the following day. After returning the machine (ibaby!) we waited by the phone for the results. The phone didn't ring. We waited, waited and then just picked up the phone and rang them instead.

Not good news. Sadly, the computer said "no" and the judges concurred. I had too many 'blips' below 90% and needed to stay on the same level for another 2 weeks. This upset my parents a little bit and I think my mum cried. She doesn't want my face to have these things on anymore.




  
She wants them off so I can look like this.


 


CHUBBY CHEEKS!

Daddy's Comments:

Felix has been putting on weight FAST. He is now 4.12kg, or 9.08lbs. He is averaging around a pound a week which is amazing. We can now really see his arms and face getting chubbier each day. His head measurements are important to see whether the fluid in his brain is flushing correctly. A sudden increase in circumference could indicate fluid build up, which in turn, could be a sign of hydrocephalus. No one is overly concerned yet, as he shows no sign of discomfort and his 'soft spot' is still soft.
We are having another download next Thursday and hope to be able to drop his Oxygen levels.
Apart from that and his choking episodes Felix is a normal health chubby baby!



3 comments:

  1. Hehe have you been sneaking in the fridge whilst mummy and daddy aren't looking and hiding the evidence in those cheeks ;)

    Loved having a snuggle with you the other day. See you soon little man xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant weight gain (not so little) dude. Mummy e mailed me the the picture where youve got no tubes, its great. Boooo rubbish on the no playing, what do health visitors know hey?? Party poopers. See you soon Mr Felix. X x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Felix is sure growing fast (good boy!) and I know that takes a lot of energy. I absolutley love the last picture of his sweet, chubby cheeked face. Those tubes will be gone soon enough. Oh and do the reflux meds seem to help?

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!